I recently received my Windows Vista Business Upgrade through the post.
Microsoft seem to have really wanted to restrict the use of clean installations. With an upgrade licence, when you try to install Vista by booting from the DVD or CD, it will tell you that Vista cannot be installed.
Unfortunately, if you want a clean installation of Windows Vista, the only way is to install Vista onto a second hard disk drive from within XP or Windows 2000.
- Start your current version of Windows
- Put the Vista Upgrade DVD into the drive
- Click ‘Install Now’
- Follow the prompts and enter your serial number
- Make sure that you select ‘Advanced Install’ and you will be prompted to select which disk you want to install Vista on. I chose ‘Y:’ Why not?
- Installation will continue as normal. When the system boots, you will be promtped to select which O/S you wish to run. Vista will be selected by default.